Monday 30 November 2015

Thing 20 - Presentations

So I'm sharing a Prezi as I've used Prezi in a very basic way a few times now and I quite like it.  I definitely haven't spent as much time exploring it as I'd like but sometimes the opportunity to use it at work can be limited through lack of internet connection.

User Services in the 21st Century was the title of the presentation to be given at an interview I attended in May 2014.  The presentation was not to the panel itself but to the team I'd be managing if I'd been the successful candidate (I wasn't but I don't think that was down to the Prezi!)

I wanted to use Prezi as I felt it was less formal than a Powerpoint and gave me more opportunity to express my personality.  I wanted to start light so I explained that one of my current roles is to lead Bookbug Sessions and suggested we all join in on a verse of Wheels on the Bus - sadly it didn't get the laugh I was looking for from the academic library staff I was presenting to.  Maybe next time I'd think twice about including something like that but I felt it was worth the chance as it's something that has worked before for me.

For me, Prezi allows me to stick to simple headlines which remind me what I want to say but without looking like a boring list of bullet points - those are the kind of presentations where I switch off as an audience member.  It can be distracting zooming about the place so I try to stick to very few basic areas and not add too many bells and whistles and I hope that as I use it more I will find a good balance.

I have a presentation to do in a few weeks and I've checked that we have internet access so I am planning to use Prezi. I've recently attended a few Power Point presentations where the bullet points have simply been read out and so I hope to avoid falling into the same trap.

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    Sounds like you want to avoid the dreaded "death by powerpoint". Good for you! I totally agree with you on bullet points. I like that Prezi has some ready-made templates that can give your work a very polished look with not much effort.

    The Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete